Yuengling believes in leading the way with responsible brewing
D.G. Yuengling & Son, Inc., is a 6th-generation family owned and operated business built on strong heritage and tradition. Established in 1829, Yuengling has been committed to supporting local communities and preserving the natural ingredients that make our quality products. Not only do we adhere to the belief that good water makes good beer, as a part of our long term commitment to the communities we operate in, Yuengling makes it a priority to protect the environment for generations to come. As America’s Oldest Brewery, we strive to reduce our carbon footprint, recycling and reusing materials whenever possible as well as conserving water and energy.
What We Do
- To brew more efficiently for both our company and the environment, we recycle our brewing byproducts
- Our spent grain is sent to local dairy farms for use as animal feed and soil fertilizer
- Our spent yeast is used as a protein supplement by food processors
- Our remaining byproducts are converted into methane gas to generate on-site power and heat
- Conserve water and reuse it when possible
- Recycle glass, aluminum, plastics, cardboard and paper
- Purchase materials and ingredients locally to reduce transportation
- Use fuel-efficient rail delivery of materials
- Use energy-efficient lighting and equipment
- Maintain a continuous focus on increased efficiencies and waste reduction
Enhancements for Responsible Brewing
During Prohibition, we built a dairy across the street from the brewery. Take a look at how we renovated this piece of history to include our museum, gift shop and green technology. In 2017 D.G. Yuengling & Son, Inc. was recognized for the energy savings achieved through its Combined Heat and Power System (CHP). Yuengling’s CHP system is craft brewing industry leading sustainability technology.
American Bald Eagle Support
The American Bald Eagle has not only played a prominent role in American history, but also in Yuengling’s history. As America’s Oldest Brewery, the significance of the eagle dates back to when we were first founded in 1829 as the Eagle Brewery. Since then, the eagle has remained a prominent part of our brand imagery and identity. It has become a symbol of resilience and independence for everything, from what we brew to what we look to inspire in our consumers, and we are committed to preserving the Bald Eagle for future generations.
We have partnered with the American Eagle Foundation (AEF) to care for and protect the U.S. National Symbol, the Bald Eagle. Through the partnership, AEF has advanced its mission of education, conservation, and rehabilitation for the Bald Eagle. To encourage further education and interest in eagle preservation, we invite fans around the world to tune into AEF’s high-definition, live-streaming Northeast Florida (NEFL) Bald Eagle Nest Cam to witness the incredible Bald Eagle nesting process.
In 2020, Yuengling celebrates the 50th anniversary of Earth Day with new, limited edition AEF Traditional Lager cans in honor of its partnership with AEF. The packaging for the AEF Traditional Lager cans also includes a new patriotic “Let’s Go USA” design, communicating to consumers and fans alike, the pride and independent spirit inherent in both the Bald Eagle and Yuengling brand.